Delayed Launch of Mobile Number Portability
Monday February 13th, 2017
On 23 December 2016, the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority (URCA) issued its Preliminary Determination on Mobile Number Portability (MNP). The document invited comments from interested parties on matters related to the implementation of MNP in The Bahamas and indicated that subject to responses received, it was proposed to launch MNP by 14 February 2017. This proposed date was based on an agreed schedule for the necessary preparatory activities for both providers concerned, namely the Bahamas Telecommunications Company Limited (BTC) and BeAliv Limited (Aliv).
The launch of MNP requires both operators to implement various changes to their networks and business processes. Commencing during the last week in January, URCA carried out an assessment of the operators’ readiness for MNP, and has determined that neither operator is in a position to ensure a successful implementation of MNP by 14 February 2017, the date initially proposed.Learn More
URCA monitors Aliv's compliance
Thursday February 9th, 2017
Residents in The Bahamas have now had the benefit of choice in the selection of their mobile telephone operator since October 2016. During this time, URCA has been monitoring the introduction of competition in this critical market.
On 1 July 2016, consistent with the Government’s selection process for a second cellular mobile provider, the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority (URCA) issued the necessary licences to the second mobile operator in the country, NewCo2015 Limited, now renamed BeAliv Limited (“BeAliv”). BeAliv provides cellular mobile services under the brand name “Aliv”. The conditions of the Individual Spectrum Licence (ISL) granted to BeAliv, stipulated that it must by no later than 1 October 2016 provide service to the general public in The Bahamas with its own network covering 99 percent of New Providence and 80 percent of Grand Bahama, meeting specified service levels (Phase 1a).Learn More
Latest Consultation Documents
- 17 Feb '17ES 01/2016 - Statement of Results and Final Determination on Mobile Number Portability
- 30 Dec '16URCA publishes revised Regulation of Retail Prices for SMP Operators of Non Price Capped Services
- 23 Dec '16Regulatory Fees for the Electricity Sector in The Bahamas
- 23 Dec '16Preliminary Determination on Mobile Number Portability
- 23 Dec '16Statement of Result and Quality of Service Regulations and Network Performance Metrics
- 12 Dec '16Preliminary Determination on BPL's Small-Scale Renewable Generation Plan